Every once in a while you run across the quintessential American RV park. Double J campground is just that. Quaint. Reserved. Charming. Clean. Timeless.
An easy turn off the interstate brings you to the front gates of the Double J campground, a privately owned (with obvious pride) RV park. I was able to speak with one of the owners on the many improvements they have brought to the park since their purchase in 2011.
Check out the pictures in the front office to see how they turned this 1970’s park into a gem for the RV world.
The first thing I noticed upon entering the park were the flowers. Every nook and cranny was dressed in natures finest colors. The roads were graveled and in pristine condition. The sites were level and offered full hookups. What’s not to love by the road weary traveler.
Most of the sites were pull thru and offered a picnic table and fire ring. Another thing that sets the mood for you… shade! Big beautiful mature trees made you want to grab a book and find a cozy spot to relish the relaxation of a great spot. Didn’t bring a chair? No problem. There are benches in several great locations. Split rail fencing dotted the campground and recreation areas giving a welcoming feel to the whole property.
Not ready to kick back on your vacation? That’s ok, Double J will keep you busy with a plethora of self serve activities for all ages.
Goofy Golf anyone? The office offers clubs and balls at no extra charge.
Need green space to let the kids or dogs blow off some steam. There is lots of green space in this park. And at the back of the Double J Campground are a playground, horse shoes, ping pong, air hockey, and fuse ball. What’s not to love?
Two convenient bathhouses with fresh tile work and fantastic showers.
Plenty of meeting spaces for large and small groups.
The Registration Desk and Park Store
The park store is well stocked with the essentials. They also seem to have great security.
A laundry room, emergency phone, and wifi. But not just any wifi… 6 towers. Enough to keep the whole park afloat with internet activities. There is also a free book swap and movie rentals for those needing a little break from the activities. Cable and digital tv are also easy to aquire.
But the cherry on top was the pool. I will admit it. We are pool snobs. And this pool did not disappoint. The water was warm, clean, and reached a depth of 5 feet starting at a 3 foot depth. The shallow end was nice and big for family play. Nice loungers were evenly spaced around the deck with some tables. There was a little shade at one end. It was a lovely respite for this crew.
Our one night stay was quiet and comfortable. The kids had a fantastic time. There are lots of great Lincoln and Route 66 activities in the area to make the stay here worth your while. Check out the visitor center website for more local information.
We would definitely stay at this park again if we ever make our way back through.
- Security Cameras
- On site staff residence/Owners residence
- Maintained site amenities
- Playground in good working order
- Pool fenced and clearly posted hours and rules
- Area appears to be a low crime area
- Even, maintained pathways
- Grass and landscaping maintained
- Bathhouses were clean
- Pool was clean
- Laundry room… you guessed it… clean
- No trash or discards left out
- Dumpsters within easy reach of the sites
- No cigarette butts lying around
- Easily accessed from Interstate 55
- Suitable for larger rigs
- Easy booking process
- Many local activities to get you out of the park and exploring
- Park office has necessity items for sale: food, rv supplies, books, and movies
- Only rv park in Illinois on Route 66
- Rear bathhouse had no stairs, ½ flight of stairs for front bathhouse and laundry
- Rate was great for the amenity level
- Good Sam Park triple 10 rating
- I feel this park was a great option for their rates